2014 Reserve Pinot Noir
Deep purple in colour with fresh black cherries and violets on the nose. Full bodied with meaty, savoury elements and a hint of vanilla. The wine is bright with fruit, a medium weight palate and with good structure – this is very much a food wine. A refined, seamless palate leads to juicy black fruit, oak-derived spice and pretty floral notes. A lingering palate with silky but firm tannins that make it a wine that (while can be happily drunk now) will continue to improve in the cellar for at least 10 years.
Note that the wine was bottled without filtration and has not been fined. Thus it will exhibit a harmless deposit over time. Ensure the wine is decanted carefully when serving.
$55.00 NZD ORDER WINE
Crop yields in 2014 were average for Northburn at approximately 5 tonnes/ha. The fruit was fully ripe and clean. Gentle handling has produced a wine with excellent concentration and complexity.
100% natural ferment, hand plunged Pinot Noir which adds complexity to the wine, and ensures a steady fermentation rate. Various clones are used which add their own personal touch to the wines. Once ferment is completed the wines are pressed off into barrel where they sleep until spring. Malolactic occured naturally when the season warmed up.
- Vine Age: 13 to 15 years
- Clones: 777, 667, 10/5 & UDC 5
- Soil: The top soil is a mixture of sandy and stony loam and the sub-soils vary between deep loose gravels and clay loam.
- Elevation: 200 m
- Rainfall: 280 mm (annual average)
- Harvest: 27th March and 4th April 2014 - Handpicked
- Vinification: 20% Whole bunch – remainder destemmed; 100% natural ferment; 100% French Oak – 22% new
- Winemaker: Richard Broadhead
- Bottled: 28th April 2015 (140 cases)
- Analysis: Alcohol: 14%